(Inspired by Dr. Fuhrman’s Black Bean brownies)
Makes 12 brownies
1 19 oz./793 g can black beans (salt free) or 2 cups fresh cooked black beans, drained
2 tsp vanilla extract
1tbsp chia seeds soaked in 2tbsp water (egg substitute)
2 tbsp almond butter or peanut butter
2 large medjool dates, pitted (18-24 if using smaller dates)
1 large ripe banana
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4c vegan chocolate protein powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4c dark chocolate chips (save some to sprinkle a few on top too)
- Preheat oven to 350 F/ 177 C.
- Chop the dates into small pieces. Combine black beans, dates, vanilla and almond butter in a food processor or Vita-Mix and blend until smooth. (Food processor preferred.)
- Add cocoa and cinnamon and blend again. (Do NOT add cocoa until the previous ingredients are blended or it will be virtually impossible to mix)
- If mixture is too dry, add another tablespoon of peanut butter. If mixture is too wet, add oats and process again.
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper leaving enough to fold up the sides.
- Spoon mixture into pan and spread out with spatula or hands.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then cool in the freezer for 2 hours to set up before slicing.
- Top with frosting or fruit if desired and serve.
Nutritional Info: 12 Servings Amount Per Serving: Calories 134.0 Total Fat 2.3 g Saturated Fat 0.5 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g Monounsaturated Fat 1.2 g Cholesterol 0.0 mg Sodium 10.1 mg Potassium 349.4 mg Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g Dietary Fiber 5.8 g Sugars 16.0 g Protein 4.2 g