Vacations are the best! They are an opportunity to take a break from the daily grind. Whether you are kicking up your heels at the beach or exploring a place you’ve never been before, there is a good chance you will be indulging when it comes to food and drinks. All those treats can take their toll and leave you feeling like you might need a vacation after your vacation.
If you are someone who generally eats clean and exercises regularly, going away on vacation can be challenging if you are trying to stay on track. The good news is, you don’t have to come home feeling defeated. There are a few simple steps you take while on vacation, to keep your vacation recovery time to a minimum.
5 Ways to Stay Healthy While You’re on Vacation…
- Drink lots of water: Drink plenty of water throughout the day and if you plan on drinking any alcohol, make sure to pair your adult beverage with a glass of water, in order to stay hydrated.
- Skip the bread basket: Many restaurants will start your meal out with a big basket of bread. Filling up on bread will spike your insulin and only leave you feeling hungry a couple of hours later so skip the bread if you can.
- Order some vegetables with your meal: It’s funny how dining out loses its appeal fast and by the end of vacation most of us are craving a home cooked meal. Since it can be tough to eat clean when you are away from home, try ordering a side of steamed vegetables or a simple green salad with all your meals. This will add some extra nutrients to your meals and to help with digestion.
- Portion control: Most restaurants offer portions that are way more than anyone needs in one sitting, so ask if you can get a half order or try splitting a meal.
- Hit the gym: Many hotels and resorts have a workout facility. Try throwing in a couple workouts through the week to work off some of those vacation indulgences. If you don’t have access to a gym hopefully your vacation includes some walking. Walking is the perfect way to balance out all that eating and drinking.
No matter where you go for vacation, these tips can help make your post-vacation recovery go much smoother! Oh Yeah!
When you get home make my Travel Recovery Smoothie for three mornings straight to help replenish your body’s nutrients.
Ingredients: makes 2 cups
- 2 cups water or coconut water
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 banana
- 3 pitted dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen pineapple, peach or mango
How to Prepare: Place all your ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if you desire a thinner smoother.